Giannis Antetokounmpo is a leading candidate for MVP and has possibly become the best player in the league this season.

야니스 아테토쿰보는 현재 MVP의 유력한 후보이며 리그 최고의 선수로 성장했습니다.

Antetokounmpo was born in Greece and was the 15th overall pick of the 2013 NBA Draft, arriving in the NBA without the typical hype of players like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Shaquille O'Neal or even Stephen Curry, who would go on to become MVPs and highly popular figures.

그리스에서 태어난 아테토쿰보는 2013 드래프트에서 전체 15픽으로 뽑혔습니다. 그가 NBA에 입성 할때만 해도 르브론 제임스, 케빈 듀란트, 샤킬 오닐, 스테픈 커리같은 선수들에게 기대되던 스타의 잠재력은 없었습니다. 

“I didn’t expect myself to be getting that close and tight with LeBron James because he’s (expletive) LeBron, (expletive) LeBron James, man," Antetokounmpo said. "Coming into the league, I never saw myself as one of the best players in the league and being that LeBron type of player. That’s the truth. I could say, ‘Yes, I always thought I could be like LeBron James or better or whatever,’ but that’s not the truth.”

"전 제 자신이 르브론 제임스한테 절대 비빌 수 있다고 생각하지 않았어요. 젠장 왜냐하면 그는(삐이이이) 르브론, (삐이이이) 르브론이자나요" 라고 아테토쿰보가 말했습니다. "리그에 왔을 때 전 제가 르브론같은 리그 최고의 선수가 될 수 있다고 믿지 않았어요. 이게 사실이예요. 뭐 '그래 난 항상 르브론처럼 혹은 그보다 뛰어난 선수가 될 수 있어'라고 말은 할 수 있겠지만 사실 그건 아니죠.

Antetokounmpo is generally a private person despite his outward charm and charisma.

아테토쿰보는 겉으로 드러나는 온화한 매력과 카리스마가 있음에도 꽤 내성적인 사람이다. 

“A lot of people say that I can be the face of the league," Antetokounmpo said. "Lately, people have told me … the closest people, you know, my family, my girlfriend, my mom, my brothers, people say that I cannot be the face of the league because I’m not American, I don’t have the American culture in me.

"많은 사람들이 제가 리그의 간판이 될 수 있다고 했어요" 라고 아테토쿰보는 말했습니다. "근데 최근에는 저랑 친한 사람들..제 가족, 여자친구, 어머니, 형제들이 제가 미국인이 아니라서, 그리고 제가 미국문화(소울)를 갖고 있지 않기 때문에 리그의 간판이 될 수 없다고 말해줬어요.

"I sat back and thought about that; should I have a little bit more American swag, should I come with a suit to the game, should I be more Americanized? But, man, if I can’t be the face of the league being me, I don’t want to be the face of the league. That’s pretty much it.”

"전 거리를 두고 생각해봤어요. 내가 미국 스웩을 좀 더 가졌어야 됐나? 경기장에 올 때 수트를 입어야 되나? 내가 좀 더 미국화돼야 되나? 하지만 전 제 자신인 채로 리그의 간판이 될 수 없다면, 그냥 그 간판이 되지 않을래요. 그게 다예요."

*expletive는 비속어를 뜻합니다.