Xp
NBA Maniazine
/ / /
Xpert

캐빈 듀란트 New Headspace 1편 (골스를 떠난 이유와, 백넘버 7번의 의미)

Updated at 2019-09-11 09:04:13

* 번역기 사용과 일부 개인 해석을 넣었습니다.

* 번역 내용중 잘못 된 부분이 있다면 말씀해주세요. 수정하도록 하겠습니다.
* 출처 : 월스트리트저널 매거진

Kevin Durant’s New Headspace
The Nets new star is focused on his recovery and elated to be coming to Brooklyn—so can everyone stop worrying about whether or not he’s happy? “We talk about mental health a lot. We only talk about it when it comes to players. We need to talk about it when it comes to executives, media, fans.”
네츠의 새로운 스타는 그의 회복에 집중하고 있고 브루클린에 온 것을 기뻐하고 있습니다. — 그렇다고 해도 모든 사람들이 그가 행복한지 아닌지에 대한 걱정을 멈출 수 있을까요? (듀란트가 정말로 행복한걸까? 라는 사람들의 궁금함)
"우리는 정신 건강에 대해 많은 이야기를 합니다. 우리는 선수들에 관해서만 이야기합니다. 그러나 우리는 구단관계자들이나, 언론들, 팬들에 관해서도 이야기 할 필요가 있습니다."

By J.R. Moehringer 
Sept. 10, 2019 8:37 am ET
“Some days I hate the NBA,” Kevin Durant says wearily. 
He’s facedown on a padded table, wearing dark workout shorts, a weathered gray DMX T-shirt, a Washington Redskins fleece draped over his shoulders. A physical therapist leans over him, wafting circulation-boosting lasers up and down his surgically repaired right calf.
"가끔은 난 NBA를 싫어해,"라고 케빈 듀란트가 피곤하게 말했습니다.
그는 어두운 반바지와 회색 DMX 티셔츠를 입고, 워싱턴 레드스킨스 플리스를 어깨에 걸쳤습니다. 물리치료사가 그에게 몸을 기대고, 그의 수술한 오른쪽 종아리를 레이저로 오르내렸습니다.

“Some days I hate the circus of the NBA,” he says. “Some days I hate that the players let the NBA business, the fame that comes with the business, alter their minds about the game. Sometimes I don’t like being around the executives and politics that come with it. I hate that.”
"가끔은 난 NBA의 서커스를 싫어해,"라고 그는 말합니다.
"선수들이 NBA 비지니스를 하는 것과, 비지니스로 부터 오는 명성 때문에 경기에 대한 마인드를 바꾸는게 싫어. 나는 그것을(마인드를 바꾸게 하는) 불러 일으키는 구단관계자와 정치적인 것 주변에 있는걸 좋아하지 않아. 난 그게 싫어."

Since June 10, when Durant crumpled to the floor with a ruptured Achilles, halting Game 5 of the NBA Finals and casting a pall over the rest of the series, it’s been The Question: Will the two-time Finals MVP, 2014 league MVP, four-time scoring leader, ever be the same? But listen to him for just a few minutes: He won’t. He’s already a different person.
6월 10일, 듀란트가 아킬레스 건의 파열로 바닥에 쓰러지면서 NBA 결승 5차전에서 멈추고 나머지 시리즈를 접어야 했을 때, 질문 되어집니다 : 2회 파이널 MVP, 2014년 시즌 MVP, 4회 득점왕이 과연 (예전과-처음 골스에 왔을 때와) 같을까?
하지만 몇 분만에 그에게 들은 건 :He won’t.

그는 이미 다른 사람입니다.

The change is more than cosmetic, more than simply leaving the Golden State Warriors and signing a four-year $164 million deal with the Brooklyn Nets. It’s more than dropping his longtime number, 35, which possessed enormous symbolism. (A beloved youth coach and mentor was shot and killed at 35 years old.) The change feels elemental, as if Durant’s brush with basketball mortality made him see how fast it all might go away, how fast it will go away (he turns 31 this month), and it scared him, or matured him, or made him think.
골든스테이트 워리어스를 떠나 브루클린 네츠와 4년간 1억 6400만 달러 계약을 체결하는 것은 단순하게 보여지는 것 이상의 변화입니다.
그것은 거대한 상징성을 가지고 있던 그의 오랜 숫자 35를 때버리는 것 보다 큽니다.
그 변화는 듀란트에게 (선수로서 생활이) 얼마나 빨리 사라졌는지, 얼마나 빨리 사라질 것인지, 그를 겁나게도 하고 또는 성숙시키고 생각하게도 만들었습니다.

And he was already a thinker. “I’ve always been on a search,” he says.
그리고 그는 이미 생각하고 있었습니다.
"저는 항상 (답을) 찾고 있었습니다."라고 그가 말했습니다.

Producer Brian Grazer, a creative partner, says Durant is one of the most original, idiosyncratic minds you’re likely to meet in the world of sports. Grazer recalls a talk Durant gave at a Google retreat in Sicily. During the Q&A someone asked what made Durant so great. Coolly, Durant replied: “Paranoia.”
크리에이티브 파트너인 프로듀서 Brian Grazer는 듀란트가 스포츠계에서 만날 수 있는 가장 독창적이고 특이한 마음을 가진 사람이라고 말합니다. Grazer는 듀란트가 구글 휴양지에서 나눈 이야기를 회상합니다. 질의 응답 중에 어떤 사람이 무엇이 듀란트를 그렇게 훌륭하게 만들었냐고 물었었고, 듀란트는 쿨하게 "Paranoia"라고 대답했었습니다.

But all this is guesswork, and Durant hates the way people are forever guessing about his psyche, which is another reason he hates the NBA. So here’s another guess: Maybe he’s not changed, or not merely changed—maybe he’s also dead tired. He sounds tired, looks tired, with good reason. His 12-year NBA career has featured outsize doses of drama, scandal, injuries, gutting losses, fierce beefs, dramatic exits, emotional returns, burner accounts. Even his most devoted fans (Mom and Dad) say the ruptured Achilles and the yearlong layoff it will likely require might be a blessing.
그러나 이 모든 건 추측일 뿐이고, 듀란트는 사람들이 그의 정신(마인드)에 대해 계속 추측하는 행동을 싫어합니다. 이것이 그가 NBA를 싫어하는 또 다른 이유입니다.
여기 또 다른 추측이 있습니다:
어쩌면 그는 변하지 않았을 수도 있습니다. 아마 그도 완전히 피곤했을 겁니다. 피곤해 보이는 것도 그럴 만한 이유가 있습니다. 그의 12년 NBA 경력은 드라마, 스캔들, 부상, 극적인 순간들, 감정적인 복귀, 주목 받는 계정 등으로 특집을 다루었습니다. 그의 가장 헌신적인 팬들조차도 아킬레스 건의 파열과 1년 동안의 휴식기간이 축복일 것이라고 말합니다.

In every sense of the word, the man needs to heal.
The healing starts here, in this $24 million neo-brutalist mansion nailed to the side of a cliff above Beverly Hills. Level with the tops of the Santa Monica Mountains, eye-to-eye with the raptors that surf the swirly updrafts, this will be the setting for Phase One of Durant’s rebuild.
모든 의미에서, 그는 치유될 필요가 있습니다.
힐링은 여기서 시작됩니다. 베벌리 힐즈 위 절벽 옆에 지어진 2400만 달러의 저택에서. Santa Monica 산맥의 꼭대기에 있는 레벨, 화려한 상승기류를 타고 다니는 랩터(공룡?)들과 눈을 맞대고 있는 레벨, 이곳이 듀란트의 1단계 재건의 배경이 될 것 입니다.

(사진 삽입문)       
MOVING ON “I’ve always been on a search,” says Durant, who in July signed a four-year $164 million deal with the Brooklyn Nets. Of his time with the Warriors, he says, “I came in there wanting to be part of a group, wanting to be part of a family, and definitely felt accepted. As time went on, I started to realize I’m just different from the rest of the guys.”
지난 7월 브루클린 네츠와 4년간 1억6400만달러의 계약을 체결한 듀란트는 "저는 항상 찾고 있었습니다." 라고 말했습니다.
워리어스에서 있었던 그의 기억을, 그는 얘기했습니다.
"나는 한 팀의 일원이 되고 싶었어, 가족의 일원이 되고 싶었고, 그리고 확실히 받아들여진다고 느꼈어. 그러나 시간이 흐르면서 나는 내가 다른 선수들과는 다르다는 것을 깨닫기 시작했어."

In some ways the place is mega-normal, just another stately pleasure dome of superstardom (seven bedrooms, 12 bathrooms; rent: $90,000 a month). But at moments there’s a weird vibe. The house feels like a chrysalis, or a crypt, depending on your point of view, and not simply because the front door is a giant sliding slab of stone. Whatever comes next for Durant—a compromised skill set, a comeback for the ages—it will be determined largely by what happens within these concrete walls, inside these unaccountably dark rooms, and this inescapable truth can really throw off the feng shui. Even the man installing the special low-resistance treadmill in the living room looks a little tense.

어떤 면에서는 이 곳은 슈퍼 스타의 행복한 공간(침실 7개, 욕실 12개, 임대료: 한 달에 9만 달러)일 뿐입니다. 하지만 이 집은 관점에 따라서 지하실 같은 느낌이기도 합니다.
듀란트에게 이 다음은 — 타협된 기술, 연령대의 복귀 등, 이 어두운 콘크리트 벽 안에서 일어나는 일들로 결정될 것이며, 이 피할 수 없는 진실은 풍수(風水)를 정말로 떨쳐버릴 수 있습니다.(...)

Team Durant’s plan is for him to hole up here all summer, then transition to his new home in New York City soon after Labor Day. He’s flying east tonight to look at a few places. Friends have urged him to consider Manhattan, but Dumbo, he thinks, might be more his speed. He wants high ceilings, a sick view, proximity to the Nets practice gym. He lives for a gym, prides himself on rolling out of bed straight into practice. “I don’t wear matching clothes…I don’t wash my face, I don’t brush my hair. I just come in there and go to work.”
듀란트 팀의 계획은 그가 여름 내내 여기에 있다가 Labor Day 직후에 뉴욕에 있는 그의 새 집으로 옮겨가는 것입니다. 그는 오늘 밤 몇 곳을 보려고 동쪽으로 날아갈 것입니다. 친구들은 그에게 맨해튼을 고려하라고 했지만 Dumbo는 그의 속도가 더 빠를 수도 있다고 생각합니다. 그는 높은 천장, 전망, 팀 연습 체육관 근처에 있는 것을 원합니다. 그는 체육관을 위해 살고, 침대에서도 곧바로 연습할 수 있다고 자부합니다. "난 맞춘 옷을 안 입어...세수도 안 하고 머리도 안 빗고. 그냥 들어가서 연습하러 가."

(사진 삽입문)
LUCKY SEVEN Durant, who was on crutches for weeks after his injury, chose to wear No. 7 for the Nets because it represents completion in the Bible (God rested on the seventh day, after creating Heaven and Earth).
부상 후 몇 주 동안 목발을 짚고 있던 럭키 세븐 듀란트는 성경의 완성을 상징하기 때문에 네츠를 위해 7번을 입는 것을 선택했습니다.

This morning, however, the only plan he cares about is the rehab plan. He’s laser focused on this laser. Somehow he even tunes out the blaring big-screen TV across the room. While his friends stretch out on big leather couches, watching White Boy Rick, discussing the plot twists, Durant stretches out on the table, subdued, quiet. This is the flip side of his hatred for the NBA: an almost pious devotion to the game itself and anything that can help him play it at the highest level.

하지만 오늘 아침, 그가 신경쓰는 유일한 계획은 재활 계획입니다.
(생략)

Comments
2019-09-11 08:00:02

그 서커스와 비즈니스가 듀란트에게 부와 명예를 가져다 준 것임을 알면 좋겠네요.

2019-09-11 09:03:03

LUCKY SEVEN 

럭키 세븐을 루키 세븐으로 번역하신 이유가 혹시 있나요?   

럭키세븐을 고르며 새로운 시작의 행운을 기약하는 듀란트의 생각의 기저를 약간 내포한 문장같네요 

WR
Updated at 2019-09-11 09:05:39

말씀해주신대로 내용 수정했습니다!

오번역 찾아주셔서 감사합니다!

2019-09-11 17:11:10

번역감사합니다
중간에 랩터가 공룡보다는 F-22 전투기 얘기
아닐까싶어요