NBA-Talk
Xp
NBA Maniazine
/ / /
Xpert

[번역글]Players Tribune_Done in the Dark - Lamar Odom

Updated at 2017-11-16 15:55:55
약물 중독으로 사경을 헤맸던 라마 오덤의 이야기를 담담하게 풀어쓴 글이 Players Tribune에 실려 제가 번옮겨보았습니다.
인간으로서의 라마 오덤에 대한 진솔한 글이라는 생각이 듭니다.
=======================================    

Done in the Dark - Lamar Odom

When I woke up in the hospital room in Nevada, I couldn’t move. I couldn’t talk. I was trapped inside my own body. My throat hurt like hell. I looked down and I had all these tubes coming out of my mouth.
네바다에 있는 병실에서 깨어낫을 무렵, 전 움직일 수도 없었어요. 말도 할 수 없었죠. 몸이 온통 묶여있었죠. 목도 엄청나게 아팠어요. 아래쪽을 봤을땐, 온갖 관들이 제 입에 연결되어 있었죠.

So I panicked.
완전히 패닉에 빠져버렸죠.

I started trying to pull them out, but I couldn’t because my hands were so weak. The nurses came running in to stop me. You ever had a really bad dream, where you’re trying to run away from a monster or some shit, and you just can’t run? Your legs don’t work like they should, and the monster is coming right behind you, and it’s like you’re in slow motion. That’s what it felt like.

전 그 관들을 빼버리려고 했지만, 손에 힘이 하나도 없는 상태여서 그럴 수가 없었어요. 간호사들이 나를 제지하려 들어왔어요. 여러분들도 진짜 악몽을 꿔본 적이 있을 거에요, 여러분들 뒤로 괴물같은 것들이 출몰하는데, 도망칠 수 없다면? 다리가 말을 안 듣고, 그 괴물은 당신 뒤를 추격하고, 당신은 느린 화면처럼 움직이는 셈이었죠. 그런 느낌이었어요.

I was laying there, looking up at the ceiling, and the doctors kept coming in and standing over me and saying some stuff. Then they’d leave. Then they’d come back. Leave, come back. Leave again, come back again. Or maybe I was just going in and out of sleep.

병원에 누워 천장을 보는 동안, 의사들이 들어오고 내 옆에 서서 뭐라뭐라 이야기를 했어요. 그리고는 어디론가 갔죠. 다시 돌아왔죠. 떠나고, 돌아오고, 다시 떠나고, 또다시 돌아왔어요. 뭐 아마 자다깨다 했을수도 있을겁니다.

My ex-wife was there in the room with me. After all the shit I had done, I was surprised to see her. Honestly, that’s when I knew that I was probably in bad shape.

이혼한 제 아내가 저와 함께 병실에 있었어요. 내가 했던 모든 짓거리가 끝난 후에 그녀를 보니 놀랍더군요. 솔직히 제가 완전히 망가져버린 걸 알아버린 때였으니까요.

At some point, the main doctor came in and told me what had happened. He said, “Mr. Odom, you’ve been in a coma for the last four days. Do you understand?”

어느 순간, 주치의가 들아와 제게 일어났던 일에 대해 말해줬어요. "오덤씨, 당신은 나흘이나 혼수상태였어요. 아시겠어요?"

I couldn’t talk. So I just nodded.

아무말도 못하고 전 고개를 끄덕일 뿐이었어요.

He said, “It’s a miracle that you’re here. We didn’t think you were going to make it.”

의사가 말을 이었어요. "당신이 여기 있는 건 기적이에요. 그런 일이 벌어지리라고는 생각조차 못했죠.

I was in total shock. Couldn’t say any clever shit back. Couldn’t ask questions. It was the first time in my life that I felt helpless. I felt like I was two inches tall. It was just … it was real.

전 완전히 충격먹었어요. 좀 재치있게 받아치지도 못할 정도였죠. 질문은 더더욱이고요. 제가 이렇게 속수무책이었던 적은 없었어요. 뭐 5센치정도로 제 자신이 작아진 느낌었어요. 그런 식으로 말이죠... 그게 현실이었어요.

At that point in my life, I was doing coke every day. Pretty much every second of free time that I had, I was doing coke. I couldn’t control it.

제 인생 어느 시점부터, 전 매일 코카인을 했어요. 약간이라도 짬이 날때마다 코카인을 먹어댔죠. 그리고 그걸 제어하지 못했고요.

I didn’t want to control it.

그걸 그만두고 싶지도 않았고요.

I remember sitting there in bed, and for the first time in my life I couldn’t talk my way out of the situation. I was trapped all day in my own thoughts. And I kept thinking about something that my grandmother used to say to me when I was a kid.

침대에 앉아 난생 처음으로 이 상황에서 빠져나올 수 없다고 생각했었어요. 하루 종일 생각에 빠져있었어요.그리고 어릴적 할머니 말씀을 계속 떠올렸죠.

I could see her face, like she was right there in the room.

할머니의 모습이 보였어요, 병실에 바로 와계신 것 같이요.

“What’s done in the dark,” she would say, “will come out in the light.”

"어둠 속에서 일어난 일들은, 밝은 곳에서도 나타날 거야." 할머니께서 말씀하시곤 했던 말이에요.

I think of all the sneaky shit I tried to get away with. All the times I did wrong. All the stuff I tried to hide. If it’s not in the public light, it’s in God’s light.

전 제가 숨기려했던 그 많은 교활한 짓거리들을 떠올렸어요. 제가 잘못했던 모든 순간을요. 제가 숨기고 싶었던 모든 것들. 세상에 나타나지 않았다면, 신의 영역에 있었죠.

I was laying there in that bed, hooked up to all these machines, people all around me crying, and there was no running from it anymore. It was like God was telling me, “Whatever the fuck you think you’re doing, you need to slow down. Or it’s gonna be worse than this.”

전 침대에 눕혀 온갖 기계들이 연결되어있었고 주위 사람들은 울어댈 뿐, 뛰어다니는 사람도 없었어요. 신이 제게 말하는 것 같았어요. "네가 했던 그 지X맞은 짓거리를 생각하면, 좀 자제할 필요가 있어. 그렇지 않으면 지금보다 더 나빠질꺼야."

Only one thing worse than this.

단 한가지만 이것보다 나빴죠.

Rick James said it best.

릭 제임스의 표현이 가장 정확해요.

“Cocaine is a hell of a drug.”

"코카인은 지옥같은 마약이야"

It’s a hell of a drug.

정말 지옥의 마약이었어요.

It will make you do things you never thought you’d do. It will turn you into a different person. It will put you in situations where you say to yourself, “How the fuck did I get here?”

그건 여러분들을 자신이 상상도 못하던 사람으로 바꿔놓을 거에요. 완전히 다른 사람으로 말이죠. 자신에게 말로만 했던 상황으로 여러분을 밀어넣을 겁니다. "제X랄 내가 여기까지 어떻게 온거지?"

When I was in that hospital bed, I kept asking myself that question. And I kept thinking about all the people in my life who aren’t here anymore. Mostly, I thought about my mother. My dad wasn’t really around when I was a kid. He had his own problems with addiction. But my mother was my best friend in the world. She was just so caring. My first memory in life is hearing the sound of her voice. She had these really wide eyes and a real soft voice.

병상에서 전 그 질문들을 끊임없이 했어요. 그리고 내 인생에서 더이상 존재하지 않는 모든 사람들에 대해 떠올렸어요. 대부분은 엄마였죠. 제가 어릴 적부터 아빠는 계시지 않았어요. 아빠는 중독문제가 있는 사람이었어요. 하지만 엄마는 세상에서 가장 좋은 친구였죠. 정말 헌신적이었어요. 제가 기억하는 가장 오래된 기억은 엄마의 목소리를 듣는 것이었으니까요. 엄마는 정말 큰 눈에 목소리가 정말 부드러웠어요.

If we were at a family party everybody would ask me, “Lamar, where’s your mother? Where’s Cathy? Where’s Cathy?”

가족 잔치때가 되면 모두들 제게 물었죠. "라마, 엄마 어디 있니? 캐시 어디있니? 캐시는?"

She was like the center of the universe in Jamaica, Queens.

엄마는 자메이카 퀸즈라는 세계의 중심이나 마찬가지였어요.

I remember when I started playing peewee football, I was already big as hell. I could take care of myself. But I got hit on this one play, and I was just dinged up a little bit. I’m on the ground for six seconds or seven seconds max, and just as I’m about to get up, I hear my mom’s voice. She’s running from the sideline out onto the field. Sprinting, yelling, “Mookah! Mookah! Talk to me, baby!”

피위 풋볼을 처음 시작했던 때가 기억나는데, 전 이미 엄청나게 키가 컸어요. 제 앞가림은 할 수 있었죠. 근데 한번은 시합 중에 공에 맞아 약간 움푹 들어갔었죠. 그래서 기껏해야 6~7초 정도 운동장에 쓰러져 있다가 다시 일어서려는 찰나, 엄마의 목소리가 들렸어요. 경기장 밖에서 안으로 달려들어와서는 소리쳤죠. "무카! 무카! 내말 들리니, 얘야!"

That was her nickname for me.

그건 제 별명이었어요.

She gets to me and I’m like, “Mom, what are you doing? Are you crazy?”

엄마는 제게 와서 제가 어떤지 봤어요. "엄마, 뭐하는 거에요? 미쳤어요?"

I mean, this is New York City. Everybody’s looking at me like, Yo. Come on, man.

그 이야기는, 뉴욕에서, 수많은 사람들이 보고 있는 앞에서 그 이야기를 했다는 거죠. 아 이런.

She says, “Mookah, Mookah, are you O.K.? What hurts?”

엄마는 물었죠. "무카, 무카, 너 괜찮니? 어디 다친덴 없고?"

I said, “Mom, I’m fine. Get the hell off the field!”

전 대답했죠. "엄마, 나 괜찮으니까 얼릉 저기로 비켜있으라고!"

She’s like, “O.K.! O.K.! I’m going! I just gotta make sure you’re alright.”

"그래, 그래! 엄마 갈께. 니가 괜찮은지 확인만 한거야."

Then she went back to the sidelines like it was nothing. That was my mother. She always had my back.

그러고는 엄마는 코트 밖으로 아무 일없었던 듯 돌아갔어요. 그게 엄마였어요. 엄마는 언제나 제 뒤에 있었죠.

When I was 12 years old, she got sick. I knew she had colon cancer, but I didn’t really know how bad it was. She kind of kept it from me to protect me. I just remember that she went into the hospital for a while, and when I went to visit her, it seemed like she was getting … smaller. Like she was disappearing, you know what I mean?

내가 열두살때 엄마는 아프기 시작했어요. 엄마가 대장암에 걸렸다는 건 알고 있었지만, 그게 얼마나 심각한지는 제대로 몰랐죠. 나를 보호하기 위한 엄마가 할수 있는 하나의 방법이었죠. 엄마를 문병하러 갔을 때를 떠올려보면, 엄마는 점점... 작아지는 느낌이었어요. 마치 사라져가는 느낌, 무슨 뜻인지 알겠죠?

One day, when my grandmother was driving me home from the hospital, she said, “You know, your mother is probably going to pass away soon. I just want you to be ready.”

어느 날 할머니께서 저를 병원으로 데려다 주면서 하신 말씀이, "너도 잘 알겠지만, 네 엄마는 얼마 안가 저 세상으로 갈 것 같아. 너도 좀 준비를 하는 게 좋겠다."

The day that she passed away, I remember going to see her, and I remember how the cancer had just ravaged her body. Like if I could go back to that time, and you could put me in that room, I probably wouldn’t even recognize who she was. Her face was so small and she was bleeding out of her mouth. And she kept saying “Mookah, Mookah….”

엄마가 저 세상으로 떠난 그날 기억에 남았던 건 엄마를 보러 가면, 암이 엄마의 몸을 얼마나 피폐하게 만들었는가였어요. 누군가 나를 그 시간, 그 병실로 데려다 놓는다면 전 아마도 누구인지도 모를 거에요. 엄마의 얼굴은 너무 작아졌고 입에서는 피를 흘리고 있었어요. 그리고 는 엄마는 계속 되뇌었었죠. "무카, 무카..."

I just sat right next to her bed, and one of the last things she said to me … I still think about it every day.

난 그저 병상 옆에 앉아, 그리곤 엄마가 내게 했던 마지막 말을... 아직도 매일 생각하고 있어요.

------------------------------------------------------------

She said, “Be nice to everybody, Mook.”

엄마는 이야기했어요. "모든 사람들에게 친절한 사람이 되거라. 무카"

I don’t think anything can prepare you for losing your mother at 12 years old. It leaves a mark on you. I don’t care how strong you think you are.

열두살에 엄마를 잃은 사람이라면 어떤 말을 해줄 수 있는지 전 아직 모릅니다. 그 사람에겐 항상 상처가 될 겁니다. 그 사람이 얼마나 강한 사람인지와는 상관없는 일이죠.

The only reason I was able to get through that time was because of my grandmother, and because of basketball. Those two things protected me. On the day my mother died, I went straight to the park to play ball. It was all I wanted to do. It was an escape for me.

그 시절을 버텨올 수 있었던 한가지 이유는 오직 할머니와 농구 덕분이었어요. 그 두가지가 나를 보호해줬어요. 엄마가 돌아가신 그 날 전 공원으로 농구를 하러 갔어요. 제가 원하는 건 그것뿐이었죠. 저게 하나의 탈출구였어요. 

I remember the news had started to get around the neighborhood about my mom, and people started showing up at the court. Then more people. After a while, the whole block was out there with me.

엄마에 대한 소식이 이웃에 퍼지게 되자 사람들이 농구장에 나타나기 시작했어요. 그리고 얼마 후엔 더 많은 사람들이, 그리고 온 마을 사람들이 나와 저와 함께 있었죠.

I had this feeling, like, It’s gonna be alright. Your grandmother has your back. Your neighborhood has your back. God has your back.

뭐랄까 전 괜찮아 질 것이란 느낌이 있었어요. 할머니가 내 뒤에 있고, 이웃들이 뒤에 있었고, 신이 뒤에 있었으니까요.

So go on. Get on with it. Keep going ’til you get your suit and you shake that old man’s hand.

그런 식으로 지나갔어요. 정장을 차려입고 그 노인과 악수를 할때까지 말이죠.

See, I used to have this vision in my head, from the time I was 10 years old. I could already see David Stern up at the podium calling my name, saying what team I was going to, and me kissing my family. I could already see it.

그래요, 전 이 순간을 그려왔죠. 제가 열살된 무렵부터 말이죠. 데이빗 스턴이 단상에 올라 제 이름을 부르고 어느 팀으로 갈 것인지를 말하면, 가족들에게 입맞춤하는 것들을요. 그걸 이미 보고 있었죠.

You might think that being a kid from New York City, with drugs around all the time, that my problems started a long time ago. Or that they started when I got drafted by Los Angeles. But that wasn’t the case. I never wanted to touch anything stronger than marijuana. I definitely never touched cocaine. I actually looked down on it.

여러분들도 눈치채셨을지모르겠지만 뉴욕 근처에 사는 아이들은 항상 마약에 노출되어있고, 오래전부터 저의 문제의 시작점이었다는 말이죠. 그 문제는 제가 LA에 드래프트되었을때 시작이 되었죠. 전 그정도 심각한 케이스는 아니었어요. 전 마리화나보다 쎈 마약은 손에 대지도 않았어요. 전 코카인에는 손을 댄 적이 없었어요. 전 사실 그걸 않좋게 보고 있었어요.

I didn’t try it until I was 24 years old, when I was on summer vacation in Miami. And … I wish I could tell you there was a reason for it. There wasn’t. It was just an asinine decision I made. If I knew that it was going to affect my life the way it did, I would’ve never even thought about it. Never. But I did it. It turned out to be a life-altering decision.

24살, 마이애미에서 여름휴가를 보낼때까지 전 코카인을 시도도 하지 않았어요. 그리고는, 그 이야기가 잘 전달될 수 있을진 모르겠어요. 전 거기에 없었어요. 전 그냥 말도안되는 결정을 해버린 거죠. 그 결정이 제 인생에 끼친 영향을 알았더라면 전 그럴 생각조차 하지 않았을 겁니다. 정말로요. 하지만 그렇게 했어요. 제 인생을 바꿔버릴 결정이었죠.

Right around that same time, my grandmother passed away. I lost a lot of family members in a short period of time. When I did coke, I felt good for a minute. I stopped having so much anxiety. I didn’t think about the pain. I didn’t think about death. So I kept doing it more and more, but I was still in control. It wasn’t like an everyday thing.

바로 그 시점에 할머니께서 돌아가셨어요. 정말 짧은 시간동안 전 많은 가족들을 잃었어요. 코카인을 하는 동안 그 잠시동안은 위안을 얻었어요. 수많은 고민이 밀려드는 걸 멈춰세웠죠. 고통에 대해선 생각 안 했어요. 죽음도 잊을 수 있었어요. 그때문에 더 빠져들었지만, 그때까진 자제를 할 수 있었어요. 매일 하는 건 아니었으니까요.

Then, about two years later, I got a phone call that changed my life. It was the summer of 2006. I had been out partying all night, and I hadn’t gone home.

그리고 2년 후, 제 인생을 바꿔버린 전화 한 통을 받았어요. 2006년 여름이었죠. 전 밤새 파티를 즐기고는 집에 들어가지 않았어요.

My son Jayden was six months old at the time. He was at home in his crib. I should’ve been at home with him. But I was out, doing whatever.

그때 제 아들 제이든은 6개월짜리 아기였어요. 집안의 요람에 있었죠. 아기와 함께 집에 있어야 했었죠. 하지만 전 밖에 나가 상상하던 일을 했죠.

Early in the morning, I got a call from his mother. She was panicking. I was like, “Yo, calm down. What’s wrong?”

아침 일찍 아내에게서 전화가 왔어요. 아내는 패닉에 빠져있었죠. 전 말했죠. "야, 진정해. 무슨 일이야?"

And she said, “Jayden … he won’t wake up.”

그녀가 말했죠. "제이든이... 일어나지 않아요."

I said, “He won’t wake up?”

"일어나지 않는다니 무슨 말이야?"

She said, “Yeah, the ambulance is here. They’re taking him now.”

아내가 말했어요. "아. 구급차가 와있어요. 제이든을 태웠어요."

I was in Manhattan. I had to drive all the way to Long Island. When I got to the hospital, the doctors just told me that, you know, “He’s not responding.”

전 맨하탄에 있었고 롱 아일랜드까지 차를 몰고 갔어요. 병원에 도착했을때 의사들이 하는 말이, 예상했겠지만, "아이가 반응이 없어요."

They said, “He’s gone.”

의사들이 말하더군요. "아이가 가버렸어요"

I said, “Gone? What are you talking about? I just seen him. Gone?”

전 물었죠. "가버리다니요? 무슨 말을 하는거죠? 방금 보고 왔어요. 가버리다뇨?"

Man, my son was vivacious. Real lively. Whenever I used to walk into a room, he would just like … look at me, and stare. Of course, he couldn’t talk, but he just used to stare. He used to use his eyes a lot — let me know that he kinda understood. Like, Yeah, that’s my dad. What’s up, Dad?

이봐요. 우리 아기는 명랑하다구요. 정말 생기있구요. 방으로 들어갈 때면... 제가 보이면, 빤히 쳐다보고요. 물론 아직 말은 못하지만 쳐다보는 건 곧잘 했어요. 눈으로 보고 이야기하면서 자기 생각을 알려줬었죠. 이런 식으로요. 와, 우리 아빠다. 아빠 무슨 일 있어요?

I just seen him. Gone? How the fuck is that even possible? How can he be gone?

방금전에도 봤어요. 가버리다뇨? 이런 지X랄맞은 게 어떻게 가능하죠? 어떻게 아기가 가버릴 수 있죠?

I walked into the hospital room … and the hurt on his mother’s face, I’ll never forget that. How she couldn’t believe it.

Six months old. Gone.

전 병실로 들어갔어요... 그리고는 아기엄마 얼굴에 난 상처를, 그걸 절대 잊을 수 없을 거에요. 아내가 어떻게 믿겠어요. 6달배기 아기가. 가버렸다는 걸.

He’d be 11 now.

살아있다면 그 아이는 지금 11살이되죠.

I used to think about what he would look like if he was still here. Actually, I still think about it almost every day.

전 습관적으로 그 아이가 살아있다면 어떻게 생겼을까를 생각합니다. 솔직히 말하면, 전 그 생각을 거의 매일 합니다.

The doctors told us that the cause was sudden infant death syndrome. It almost sounded made-up. No explanation. No answers. Just … gone. Like that. And you’re supposed to just accept it. You’re supposed to live with that.

의사들은 그 원인을 영아급사증후군이록 이야기합니다. 거의 급조된 용어같아요. 설명도 필요없고, 답도 없죠. 그냥... 가버렸으니까요. 그런 건, 그냥 받아들여야 합니다. 그걸 받아들이고 살아야 하죠.

I think everything probably picked up at that point, with the drugs. Even subconsciously. You don’t even know why you’re doing it at that point. I think subconsciously, you make yourself an addict because of the trauma that you’re going through.

지금 시점에서 약물과 관련된 모든 것들이 떠오를 거라 생각해요. 반쯤 무의식적으로라도요. 이쯤에서는 자신이 무얼 하고 있는지조차 모르게 됩니다. 반쯤 무의식적으로라도 지금까지 벌어진 일의 트라우마때문에라도 자신을 중독자로 만들었을 겁니다.

With cocaine especially, there’s a high, and then an emotional low. So it’s like a roller coaster. You go high, and then you go low. High, low, high, low. After you do it, you feel shame. You think about all the reasons why you shouldn’t have done it. Then the cycle starts again.

특히 코카인을 하게 되면, 감정이 고조되었다가 침울해집니다. 그래서 롤러코스터를 타는 느낌이에요. 고조되었다가 침울해지고, 높이, 낮게, 높이, 낮게. 이런 사이클 후에 부끄러움을 느끼게 되죠. 코카인을 하지 말아야 할 이유가 이것뿐이라고만 생각할 겁니다. 그리고 그 악순환은 다시 시작됩니다.

That’s the thing people don’t understand. Anybody who’s lived a complicated, drug-infused life like I’ve lived knows the cycle — with women, cheating on my wife, shit like that. Nights when I should have been asleep. Nights when I stayed up sniffing coke. Lot of those nights. When your heart is beating fast. When you should know better. When you’re just riding that roller coaster, man.

그 부분에서 사람들이 이해 못하는 것이 있습니다. 제가 살아온 것처럼 복잡하고 약물에 찌든 삶을 산 사람은 그 악순환을-여자를끼고 아내를 속이고, 이런 빌어먹을 것들을 알게 됩니다. 분명 잠에 들어야 할 시간에 잠들지 못하고 코카인을 흡입합니다. 정말 많은 밤에 말이죠. 심장이 빠르게 뛸때, 빨리 알아챘어야 했죠. 그저 롤러코스터를 타고 있는 중이라는 걸요.

You think I wasn’t feeling shame? You think I was blind to what I was doing?

부끄러움을 느끼지 않냐구요? 뭘 하는지 제대로 알지도 못하고 있다고요?

Nah, I wasn’t blind to it. Shame … pain. It’s part of the whole cycle. My brain was broken. As the years went on, and I got into my 30s, my career was winding down, and things just got out of control.

아뇨, 전 둔감하지 않아요. 수치심... 고통. 이건 전체 악순환의 부분이에요. 뇌는 망가졌어요. 몇년이 지나는 동안 전 30대에 접어들었고 제 경력은 하향길에 접어들었어요. 그리고 생활은 그저 엉망이 되어버렸죠.

When I was like 32, 33 … I just wanted to get high all the time. That’s it, just get high. And things got dark as hell.

서른 둘, 서른 셋이었을 때처럼... 그저 항상 고조된 느낌이길 바랬어요. 그것 뿐이에요. 고조된 느낌. 그러자 모든 것들이 지옥같이 어두워졌죠.

One of the darkest places I’ve ever been was when I was in a motel room, getting high with this chick, and my wife (at the time) walked in. That probably was like rock bottom.

모텔 방은 제가 경험해 본 가장 어두운 곳이었어요. 젊은 계집애들과 함께 고조되어있던 순간이에, 바로 그 순간에 제 아내가 들어왔고. 그 순간이 아마도 바닥이었죠.

First of all I was in a motel.

결국엔 전 모텔에 있었어요.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A motel.

모텔

I’m a millionaire. I’d made it out of Jamaica, Queens, and won two NBA titles. And I’m in a motel, with some random person, doing coke. But I just wanted to get high with this girl, and I had no other place to go. I couldn’t take her home. You know, I was being a scumbag. Nothing else I got for that. No excuses. No bullshit. That’s just the truth.

전 백만장자에요. 전 자메이카의 퀸즈를 떠나서 돈을 벌었고 두 번의 NBA 우승을 경험했죠. 그리고 누군지 모르는 사람과 모텔에 와 코카인을 했죠. 그 여자와 고조된 느낌을 느끼고 싶었을 뿐이고, 다른 곳에서 할 순 없었죠. 그녀를 집으로 바려다 주지도 못했어요. 아시겠지만 전 쓰X기가 되어가고 있었어요. 설명할 다른 말이 없네요. 변명할 말이 없어요. 헛소리가 아니라, 그야말로 그게 진실이었으니까요.

My dick and my habit took me down all the roads that you don’t ever wanna go down. A lot of great men are fools to that. Fools to that. There are probably a lot of young dudes out there who hear my story and think that it could never happen to them. That they’re untouchable.

내 X과 습관들은 나를 전혀 원하지 않던 길들로 인도했죠. 그것 앞에서 수많은 위대한 남자들은 바보가 됩니다. 바보가 말이죠. 아마도 많은 젊은 친구들도 나의 이야기를 들었을테고 그 위대한 사람들에게는 절대 일어나지 않을 거라고 생각할 겁니다. 그 사람들은 불가침의 영역이죠.

Man … Nobody is untouchable. Nobody in this life is immune to pain.

그렇지만... 아무도 불가침의 영역에 있을 순 없어요. 인생에서 고통에 면역된 사람은 아무도 없어요.

You know, it’s crazy, because my uncle Mike was a correction’s officer at Riker’s Island. He was a tough motherfucker. He was that uncle who used to lift his shirt up when I was in middle school and be like, “You think you’re tough? Go ahead. Give me your best shot. Hard as you can.”

여러분들도 아시겠지만, 약간 미친 짓이었지만, 제 삼촌 마이크는 라이커 섬의 교도소 교정 직원이었어요. 진짜 개X같은 새X였죠. 셔츠를 차려입고 중학생인 제게 말했죠. "니가 그렇게 쎄다면서? 한번 명치 존X 세게 쳐봐. 있는 힘껏."

Wham. I’d hit him full-force, and it wouldn’t even faze him.

퍽. 전 힘껏 쳤는데, 그 인간은 꿈쩍도 안 하는 겁니다.

They used to have a family night for all the guards and C.O.’s at Riker’s like once a month, and he used to take me along with him. I was always so intrigued by the inmates, because they were some geniuses, for real. Uncle Mike would take me to this room where they had all the confiscated weapons that these dudes would make. If you gave these guys a toothpick, they’d find a way to make it into a weapon. They’d take parts from the toilet or an alarm clock and sharpen it into a shank.

한달에 한번정도씩 라이커 교도소에서 가족들의 밤을 갖고는 했는데, 마이크는 저를 데리고 오곤 했어요. 항상 수감자들 때문에 놀랐던 게 그 사람들은 진짜 머리가 비상했어요. 정말로. 마이크 삼촌은 재소자들이 만들었다 몰수된 무기들이 있는 방으로 저를 데리고 가곤 했어요. 그 인간들에게 이쑤시개를 던져주면, 어떻게든 무기로 만들 방법을 찾아내니까요. 화장실이나 알람시계에서 부품을 빼내서 나무로 된 자루로 날카롭게 만들어버리니까요.

I remember having this realization when I was looking at the stuff they used to make: These guys were smart as hell. Some of these dudes could have been engineers. How the hell did they get here?

그런 것들이 만들어지는 걸 보고 깨달았던 것이, 진짜 이 인간들은 X나게 똑똑하다는 거. 여기 있는 사람들 중 몇몇은 기술자였어요. 이런걸 어디서 얻겠어요?

I told myself that I’d never go to prison. I’d never mess up like that.

전 절대 감옥에 가지 않겠다고 다짐했어요. 그건 잊은 적이 없어요.

But you know what? Life is a lot harder than you think it’s gonna be.

그런데 누가 알았겠어요. 인생은 생각보단 훨씬 힘들다는 걸요.

When you’re an addict, nothing can get through to you. I never thought I was going to die. I never thought I’d be in a coma. I didn’t think I had a problem. But then I woke up in a bed with tubes coming out of my mouth — and it was real.

약물 중독자가 되었을땐 어떤 것도 당신을 건드릴 수 없어요. 제가 죽을 거란 생각은 해본 적이 없어요. 제가 식물인간이 될 거란 생각도 해본 적이 없죠. 내가 문제가 있을 것이란 생각도 하지 않았어요. 하지만 병원침대에서 깨어나 내 입에 연결된 관들을 보자-그때서야 현실이 다가왔죠.

The doctors told me that right before I woke up from the coma, my kids had come by to see me. And that broke my heart, because I had seen my own mother on her deathbed, with tubes coming out of her mouth.

코마에서 깨어나기 전, 아이들이 보러 왔다고 의사들이 이야기해주더군요. 그러자 제가 병원침대에 누워 온갖 관을 입에 삽입한 엄마를 보는 듯한 느낌에 가슴이 너무 아팠어요.

My kids are the only things that kept me going. I’ve been a big strong dude my whole life, so anytime my kids see me in a weak point like that is definitely hard for me — even to talk about now.

아이들은 저를 살아가게 만드는 유일한 존재들이에요. 전 항상 강한 아버지였고, 언제나 아이들은 저에게 약한 부분이었어요. 그건 지금도 마찬가지죠.

My son Lamar Jr. is 16. He’s shy and loves basketball. Like me reincarnated. Only a more handsome version.

제 아들 라마 주니어는 16살로 수줍은 소년이지만 농구를 좋아합니다. 저를 쏙 빼닮은 것 같아요. 좀 더 잘 생기기도 했죠.

My daughter, Destiny, is 18. She’s beautiful and smart. And she doesn’t take any shit. When I was able to talk again, she told me straight up, “Dad, you need to get yourself help or I’m not going to talk to you again.”

제 딸 데스티니는 18살이에요. 예쁘고 똑똑하죠. 절대 허튼 소리는 안 합니다. 다시 말할 수 있을 무렵 그녀는 제게 똑바로 말했어요. "아빠, 아빠가 스스로 바로 서지 않으면 난 아빠랑 다시는 이야기하지 않을 거야."

So I went to rehab, and in rehab you learn to submit to everything. I’ve always been a really anxious person. I’ve been a worrier my whole life. But I’m learning  to release everything. Or at least I’m trying to learn.

그래서 재활을 시작했고 재활기간 동안에는 모든 것을 받아들이게 됩니다. 전 항상 걱정이 많은 사람이었어요. 평생 걱정만 하는 사람이었죠. 하지만 지금은 모든 것을 내려놓는 법을 배우고 있어요. 적어도 그러려고 노력하고는 있죠.

My kids even came to a few therapy sessions with me. And that was especially important, because they got to kind of let loose, telling me how my addiction affected them, too.

아이들도 저와 함께 치료과정에 따라왔어요. 긴장을 푸는 방법이나 중독증세가 긴장에 어떤 영향을 미치는지에 대해 설명해 주기 때문에 굉장히 중요했어요.

After one of the sessions, my daughter told me, “This was good, but I don’t ever want you to be in here again.”

그 과정 이후에 제 딸이 말하더군요. "이 과정은 좋았지만, 아빠가 여기 다시 오는 건 싫어."

I’m sober now. But it’s an everyday struggle. I have an addiction. I’ll always have an addiction. It never goes away. I mean,I want to get high right now. But I know that I can’t if I want to be here for my children.

전 지금 정상입니다. 하지만 매일매일이 고통이에요. 전 중독증상이 있어요. 그리고 앞으로도 그럴 것이고요. 앞으로 절대 사라지진 않을 겁니다. 제 말은, 전 지금도 고조된 느낌이고 싶어요. 하지만 아이들과 함께하기 위해서는 그럴 수 없어요.

You know, it’s crazy … when I was in the hospital, and I couldn’t even walk, all these people came to see me that I hadn’t seen in a minute. All these old teammates came. Kobe came. I got texts from all these guys, like, “Damn dog, the news was saying you were dead. I’m happy you’re still here.”

아시겠지만, 이건 미친 짓이에요. 병원에 있을때 전 걷지도 못하고, 나를 찾아온 많은 사람을 잠시도 보지 못했어요. 오래된 동료인 코비가 왔어요. 전 그 친구들에게서 문자를 받았죠. 이렇게요. "이런 미친, 뉴스에선 내가 다 뒈진줄 알아. 너네들이 여기 살아있어서 좋아."

It kind of reminded me of who I was, and what I’ve meant to some people.

그걸 통해 내가 어떤 사람이었는지 누군가에게 어떤의미였는지 일깨워줬어요.

I shook hands with death. But you know what?Ain’t no coming back from that. Even though my funeral would probably be a good funeral, and there’d probably be a lot of people who hadn’t seen each other in a long time. But it ain’t time for that yet.

전 죽음과 악수했었죠. 하지만 어떻게 되었나요? 거기로 돌아가진 않았어요. 저의 장례식은 꽤 크게 하겠지만, 그렇다고해도 많은 서로 보지 못하는 많은 사람들이 있을 겁니다. 아직 장례식을 할 때는 아니죠.

I still got my kids. I’m still here. And damn, I’m still pretty handsome.

제겐 아직 아이들이 있고, 여기에 있어요. 그리고, 전 아직 외모가 나쁘지 않거든요.

I’ve been through so much that now I just want that little piece in the world … that little piece … where I don’t have to worry.

전 살아오면서 지금은 세상의 작은 조각이길 바래요... 그 작은 조각이... 제가 걱정할 이유는 없죠.

Every morning when I wake up, I look at the same pictures.

매일아침 일어날 때면 똑같은 사진들을 봅니다.

Pictures of people who are gone. My mother. My grandmother. My son Jayden. My best friend Jamie.

떠나버린 사람들의 사진을료. 엄마, 할머니, 내 아들 제이든. 내 가장 친한 친구 제이미.

People who are still here. My two beautiful kids.

여전히 함게 하고있는 사람들. 나의 아름다운 두 아이.

I just look at their faces for a few minutes, and it’s like a reminder of what life is supposed to be about. I feel warm. I feel an energy. I feel love. That shit gets me through the day.

그 얼굴들을 잠시동안 바라보고있노라면, 다가올 남은 인생같아요.따뜻함이 느껴지고, 에너지가 느껴지고, 사랑이 느껴집니다. 그런 느낌이 저를 감싸게 됩니다.

It’s like taking my vitamins.

일종의 비타민을 먹는 느낌이죠.

Comments
2017-11-16 15:49:09

오랜만에 보는 이름이라 놀랐네요
퇴근길에 한번 쭉봐야겠습니다 감사합니다

WR
2017-11-16 16:08:45

라마 오덤이 오랫만에 보는 이름이 되었다는게 좀 슬프긴 하지만, 흥미있는 내용이었습니다.

퇴근길에 재밌게 읽어주시면 감사하겠습니다^^

2017-11-16 16:49:47

정말 잘읽었습니다. 번역감사합니다

WR
2017-11-16 16:54:44

즐겁게 읽어주셔서 감사합니다.

2017-11-16 16:53:51

참 파란만장한 인생이네요. 이제라도 정신차려서 다행입니다. 

근데 레이커스에서 우승할 당시에도 코카인을 하고 있었단 건데 그러면서 그정도 플레이를 보여줬다는게 오돔의 재능이 얼마나 대단했는가를 말해주는거 같습니다. 

WR
2017-11-16 16:55:20

오덤의 인생을 엿볼 수 있어서 좋은 글이었다고 생각합니다.

2017-11-16 17:24:23

2년전 혼수상태 이후로 깨어나서 저런글도 쓰고 참 보기 좋았는데 다시 클럽 들락날락하면서 혼수상태로 발견되는걸 보면 여러 생각이 드네요

WR
2017-11-16 17:32:06

종류를 막론하고 중독이라는 것이 쉽게 치유될 수 있는 문제는 아니죠.

hou
24-03-23
bos
24-03-18